Saturday, November 28

Holiday Shopping? Click to the Front of the Line.

Every year, Christmas seems to come sooner, or rather it is thrust upon us sooner. There's hardly time to enjoy the Thanksgiving feast with the Christmas tunes already blaring and Black Friday sales creeping in so early that there's barely time to clear the table before heading to the mall.

As much as I love the holidays, and holiday shopping, I couldn't work myself up to get excited about fighting the crowds and standing in line this year. So I didn't. This year I enjoyed the wonders of Black Friday online. I know holiday shopping online is not a new practice, but this was my first season fully embracing it. After all, it's hard to find a negative about shopping from the comfort of your own home: just you, your computer, a cup of coffee and your credit card. Of course, I'm sure shopping traditionalists will find points of disagreement, but I have a hard time seeing the negative side of a practice that allows me more time for watching my favorite holiday movies.

This year many online retailers made shopping from home even easier by running online Black Friday sales and offering free shipping deals. Amazon.com has been running its Black Friday online sales and "lightning" deals all week, and other major retailers like Target and Walmart have been running special online only sales in addition to their in-store sales. Plus, if you didn't get your fill of holiday deals this weekend, Cyber Monday is right around the corner.

Granted shopping online doesn't allow you the fun of peeking in store windows, or browsing the shelves, and you miss the wonders of the food court. It does, however, save you the frustration of fighting the crowds and racing for a parking space at the mall. And who couldn't use a little spared sanity at the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment